Thursday, May 27, 2004

Reality TV

So I am watching American Idol and I am thinking to myself that I prefer
this, because I can use it as background noise. There is no real reason why
I would stick around and watch the commercials. Does the survey data that
uses about 1,000 people to figure out what America is watching take into
account that there is a percentage of the population that will skip the
commercials?

Just imagine what we could do if we controlled these polls that use a
highly-skilled form of sampling the population. Well, not the people doing
the sampling-forget them. They are just weirdos anyway. I am talking about
the people that are being surveyed. If we figure out who these people are
then we can control them and push our own agenda.

Perhaps this was already done and someone figured out how to manipulate the
market. Perhaps this could explain reality shows and pageants. They must
have been really pissed at their parents and decided to hose the rest of
America.

You know who I blame-besides Gray Davis (Gray Davis drowns puppies)-I blame
the parents. They made us and these are the kinds of depictions and outcomes
that they should have expected from all of their Dr. Spocks and Oprahs
telling them how to raise us.

Yes, if you are a Baby Boomer then I blame you. You should have done a
better job. Now I have to sit through shows like The Swan and The Simple
Life, and there is not a goddamn thing on TV except for reality shows. What
kind of world do we live in when anyone famous puts a camera on them and I
have to sit through it?

Why, Baby Boomers? Why didn't you raise us the way your parents raised you?
Why did you embrace the hippie way? Why? Why do I have to sit through
another reality show? I suppose I could read a book, but why can't I do what
I used to do in the summer and watch reruns? I miss reruns...now it is
syndication. We really need to find those thousand people, don't we?


Thank you for reading,
Vincent

So I am watching American Idol and I am thinking to myself that I prefer
this, because I can use it as background noise. There is no real reason why
I would stick around and watch the commercials. Does the survey data that
uses about 1,000 people to figure out what America is watching take into
account that there is a percentage of the population that will skip the
commercials?

Just imagine what we could do if we controlled these polls that use a
highly-skilled form of sampling the population. Well, not the people doing
the sampling-forget them. They are just weirdos anyway. I am talking about
the people that are being surveyed. If we figure out who these people are
then we can control them and push our own agenda.

Perhaps this was already done and someone figured out how to manipulate the
market. Perhaps this could explain reality shows and pageants. They must
have been really pissed at their parents and decided to hose the rest of
America.

You know who I blame-besides Gray Davis (Gray Davis drowns puppies)-I blame
the parents. They made us and these are the kinds of depictions and outcomes
that they should have expected from all of their Dr. Spocks and Oprahs
telling them how to raise us.

Yes, if you are a Baby Boomer then I blame you. You should have done a
better job. Now I have to sit through shows like The Swan and The Simple
Life, and there is not a goddamn thing on TV except for reality shows. What
kind of world do we live in when anyone famous puts a camera on them and I
have to sit through it?

Why, Baby Boomers? Why didn't you raise us the way your parents raised you?
Why did you embrace the hippie way? Why? Why do I have to sit through
another reality show? I suppose I could read a book, but why can't I do what
I used to do in the summer and watch reruns? I miss reruns...now it is
syndication. We really need to find those thousand people, don't we?


Thank you for reading,
Vincent

No comments: